Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Information Overload

Several months ago, I received a telephone call from my insurance provider. They wanted me to enroll in the healthy pregnancy plan, a program that offered health tips and advice to pregnant women. It was explained to me that I would be mailed a package of information about my pregnancy, that I would get a phone call at the end of each week to find how my pregnancy was progressing, and that I would have access to a web site and a 24-hour hotline that was manned by nurses who were there chiefly to assist me with my medical questions. I signed myself up and happily hoped I would not need the tools, but was glad to have them at my disposal.

Insurance companies are never the picture of excellent customer service, and the nursing hotline left a great deal to be desired. The first and only time I called the hotline, I had been having a sharp, stabbing pain in my abdomen. I checked the web site and read all the information I could find before dialing the number. The nurse who answered the phone was friendly enough, but that was where her telephone skills ceased. Once I told her my problem, she was silent for several minutes except to answer in the affirmative when I queried if she were still on the line. When she did begin speaking, she spoke in a monotone, repeating verbatim the words on the web page that was still in front of me. When I asked a more specific question, she answered, "This is all it says." I questioned what "it" was, and her answer was indeed the same web site to which I already had access. A few moments later, I politely thanked her, hung up, and continued searching the web before calling my own physician.

The problem with the setup is not just the fact that the information given was vague language packaged as highly personalized advice, it was also the lack of training on part of the nurse on call. Indeed I had access to the same information she did, but she also had the knowledge and the training to explain to me what I could not have known without her expertise. Whereas I'm sure she was a fine medical provider, she simply lacked the skill to communicate with me effectively, In fact, she left me more frustrated that I was before I called. Do I blame the nurse? Absolutely not. I instead blame those in charge of the program for not seeing the necessity in communication skills. They looked at their employees as nothing more than human computer terminals, relaying information while avoiding any real human interaction. Entire industries function in this way, not realizing that they would profit greatly from a true commitment to interact with others.

Molloy Business Development Group offers training that enhances communication with customers, prospects, and colleagues, not to mention family and friends. Call Molloy Business Development Group at (877) 212-6001 to learn about the "Language of Commitment" and how it can aid you in creating lasting relationships through the use of language. You can also visit the Molloy web site at www.molloyllc.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment